December 03, 2011

Charter Schools?

 

There is currently a charter school being built in our area.  (and when I say our area I mean within 25 miles.)  It is a STEM school which means the focus will be on Science Technology Engineering and Math.  I really do want more for my kids than what their current school is offering, so I have been considering this as an option.  However, I have little to no experience or knowledge of charter schools.  It would be a bit more of a drive for them and I don’t know if I love the idea of making them wear uniforms. 

Supposedly the students would frequently work in groups and do a lot of hands on Science and Engineering projects.  They would also gain a lot of experience in presentations.  I asked Kaylee how she felt about group work and she said that she has never done that before.  Nor has she ever had the chance to do a presentation in front of the class.  She has never done a report of any kind.  Granted she is only in 3rd grade but is this typical?  Does that sort of thing not begin until they get older?

What do you know about Charter Schools and would you moms ever send your kids to one?

2 comments:

Cathy Bubert said...

I love the idea of uniforms - you don't have to worry about what to wear every day and it eliminates competition. Students aren't judged so much by how they look. I wish our 15 year old daughter's school wore uniforms - it would make her day much easier.

grandma to 16 said...

I've heard good things about charter schools~~would they have any type of mini-bus for transportation available?.....at a drop off point or something? Wish it was closer~~Regarding the reports, I agree with you. I remember as soon as second grade giving simple written and oral reports in front of the classroom.