November 15, 2011

What is for Dinner?

 

This is a phrase that has grown to really get under my skin.  When we lived in civilization where there is a fast food restaurant on every corner, I use to beg to just stay home and eat a home cooked meal.  I felt a sense of homemaking type mother of the year when we actually sat around the table and ate dinner together.  Now that the closest fast food restaurant is 18 miles away, we eat at home much more than we go out.  I no longer feel that sense of accomplishment from simply making dinner.  I would now much rather prefer a fend for yourself night, or a trip into town to hit up Taco Bell.  Why?  Well, part of it is laziness.  But for the most part, I am just sick of making the same things over and over.  And most of the time when I try a new recipe my family stares at it like it is from outer space.  The worst part about it is that this event doesn’t come around just once a year, once a month, or once a week.  We are faced with this question every single day!  It is like a nightmare from the twilight zone.  What’s for dinner?  What’s for dinner?  What’s for dinner?

2 comments:

Par 5 said...

Perhaps to regain that feeling of accomplishment, you should be cooking dinner for your neighbors. I'm sure they wouldn't stare at the meal like it was from outer space. (We promise!! :) You'll be feeling all domestic and home-makey (yep, it's a new word) in no time!

grandma to 16 said...

I remember hearing many little chicks asking that!!! (smile) it does tend to get on your nerves~~~

You've spoiled them all.......because you are a GOOD COOK!!!
smile........hahahahha