October 19, 2011

The “To Do” list

 

My Frustration – Every day I write a list of what I need to get done.  A “To Do” list if you will.  Then I diligently go about my day.  Inevitably I end my day with only about half of the list done.  So the next day, I will write out my list and I find that I am rewriting almost the exact same list.  Whether I got the Laundry done or not, it is still on the list.  That letter that needs mailed just can’t seem to get off the list either.  And I can’t help but feel like such a failure that I can’t even complete a little list in one day.  I think to myself that if only I used my time more wisely then maybe I could get more done.  So I beet myself up over it and become determined to do better only to find failure again the next day. 

My Epiphany – The fact of the matter is that my list isn’t too big if that is all that I had to do in one day.  But it isn’t.  I am forgetting to write down on my list that I have to: Get Dressed, Make my Bed, say my prayers, read scriptures, make and clean up three meals, straighten up the house, referee the fighting, communicate with my husband, and help kids with homework.  That is everyday stuff but most days also include such things as taking kids to soccer, visit teaching, Presidency meeting, classroom volunteering, PTO meeting or commitment, or a good ole trip to town for some grocery shopping.  So really I don’t ever have a whole day to accomplish my “To Do” list.  I probably have an hour or two on a good day.   And where is the “time for myself” that too many women neglect?  Therefore, maybe just maybe we moms expect too much out of ourselves.  We say we are doing it all for our families, but we just burn ourselves out to the point where we are more honoree than loving, and too busy to just BE there with them. 

  The Result – Today I am going to put eat a piece of chocolate on my to do list, that way I can be guaranteed to get something done.

5 comments:

the Horton Hurricane said...

So true. At night when I lay in bed I think about all that I wished I could have gotten done. I loke the chocolate idea I think that is what I will go do also. I'm thinking a kit kat :)

Hales Family said...

Awesome post!! Send some chocolate my way!:) You accomplish more than most do in a day. I wish I was more like you all the time so don't beat yourself up when you don't get your list done!! You are awesome and I love ya!!

Par 5 said...

Hey, how do you expect to get anything done when you're wrapping yarn around a pool noodle? First things first!! :)Perhaps if you weren't so crafty, creative, and caring, (please note the alliteration) you could get more crossed off your list. But really, just take one thing at a time. If you only cross a single thing off your list in a day, celebrate and double up on the chocolate! :)

grandma to 16 said...

Give yourself pats on the back for the things you DO cross off your list!! ~ that includes all your mommy activities of hugging, kissing, homework, cooking, & especially laughing with your fam!!!

(smile)

Noelle and Corey said...

Remember what Pres. Uchtdorf said in the RS mtg:

"Dear sisters, many of you are endlessly compassionate and patient with the weaknesses of others. Please remember also to be compassionate and patient with yourself.

In the meantime, be thankful for all the small successes in your home, your family relationships, your education and livelihood, your Church participation and personal improvement...these successes may seem tiny to you and they may go unnoticed by others, but God notices them and they are not small to Him."